Thursday, June 18, 2009

my purpose

I've been wanting to start blogging for awhile. Last semester, my teacher told us (as English majors) that each one of us should absolutely be doing it- but I haven't. Now, with Guatemala, California and who knows what else coming up, it's time.
This past weekend I took a road trip with a friend to visit Morning Star. Our time at the church was awesome, but I was most encouraged by our conversations during the 9 hour drives to and from SC. Last week, while at work, I realized how much I long for connection with people. My mom works with me and I noticed how much I try to talk to her.. not about anything important, I just want to be feeding that relationship. I'll tell her how nice my highlighter is working if there's nothing else to say, just to feel close. When I told Katie this, I half expected her to give me a strange look and change the subject, but then she said... "me too!"
People are so relational. We long to be connected to others, to be accepted and desired. If we feel it strongly enough to make somewhat pointless conversation, how much more must God be longing for our constant attention and affection?
Paul encourages us to pray without ceasing, and while I definitely believe this is for our own growth and well-being, I also believe that God is a lover yearning to be close to us.
I know how strong that hope is in me, and there's no one else who can satisfy that hunger like He can. I believe that's what we were created for.. relationship with God and with each other. Everything else is mundane. How awesome is it that God wants to enjoy us as we enjoy Him??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pals